There is great beauty in this world,
and we work to protect it. Join us.
Local Activists for a Nuclear-Free Future
Legal Intervenors in Diablo Safety Issues since 1973
San Luis Obispo Mothers for Peace is a non-profit organization concerned with the local dangers involving the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant, and with the dangers of nuclear power, weapons and waste on national and global levels. Additionally, Mothers for Peace works to promote peace and a nuclear-free, carbon-free world, utilizing conservation and sustainable resources.
State Lands Commission
Gavin Newsom, California's Lieutenant Governor, serves on the three-member State Lands Commission. This Commission leases the land to PG&E for the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant. These leases are due to expire in 2018 and 2019.
1. Send an email to the Commission asking the staff to prepare a full California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) review for the land leases before considering a renewal. Send the message to: Jennifer.Lucchesi@slc.ca.gov
2. Attend the San Luis Obispo interactive webcast of the State Lands Commission meeting being held in Sacramento: June 28.
Gavin Newsom Speaks on Diablo Canyon
Listen to it and be inspired.
California Coastal Commission
PG&E requires certification from the California Coastal Commission that relicensing Diablo Canyon would comply with the state's environmental regulations.
Contact Erik Howell, our local representative.
45 Fremont Street, Suite 2000
San Francisco, CA 94105
California State Water Board
and Once-Through Cooling
Contrary to State policy, Diablo Canyon continues to use 2.4 billion gallons of ocean water each day to cool the two reactors through a system called once-through cooling (OTC).
1. Sign up for OTC alert list: https://mothersforpeace.org/contact-info
2. Once the Board publishes options for this enforcement, public comments will be needed demanding that the Water Board apply the OTC policy to Diablo Canyon.
Summary of OTC policy:
Senate Bill 968
Senate Bill 968 proposes a study of the econoomic impacts of the shut-down of Diablo Canyon. Mothers for Peace opposes the bill as written and suggests amendments to:
- also study the economic impacts of a radioactive release if Diablo does not shut down
- support renewable energy sources and create jobs
30 organizations oppose this bill.
Contact Senator Monning expressing support of Mothers for Peace amendments to the bill.
Promote Renewable Energy
Seven Nuclear Regulatory Commission engineers have petitioned the Commissiioners to correct a pervasive design flaw governing reactor cooling systems.
Join us in our efforts to monitor the spread of radiation from Fukushima and its impact on the ocean. Consider making a tax deductible donation at: https://www.razoo.com/story/Woods-Hole-Oceanographic-Radiation-Testing